Coming alive

Kid off to school: check. Cup of tea at hand: check. Let’s get this day started, shall we?

I thought I would start the post with a retrospective of previous Days of DH that I’ve participated in, but as far as I can tell, everything before 2012 has disappeared into the ether. At any rate, here I was then. (Last year I sat the event out for various reasons.) In 2011 I was a postdoc just returning from maternity leave to my new job on the Tree of Texts project at Leuven; in 2010 I’d had my Ph.D. for just about one year, was a temporary lecturer in Byzantine history at Oxford and trying to work out what on earth I would do next.

This is possibly the first year that the Day of DH has caught me “doing digital humanities” whether I like it or not. Becoming a DH professor will do that to a person, I understand. It also means that this is the first year that I will be saying anything at all about teaching, classes, students, etc. instead of talking only about my own research and hacking.

On the schedule for today:

• Send a mail around to partners in a COST Trans-Domain Proposal we are making, due at the end of the week.
  • Make the revisions to an abstract for the upcoming DH BeNeLux conference.
  • Collect links to projects I’ve mentioned in the Intro to Digital Humanities seminar I’m running, and send them to the students.
  • Plan tomorrow’s session of the Tools and Techniques for Digital Humanities class.
  • Finish the data analysis for an article I am writing.

So let’s get on with it!