The Bigger Picture

As is the case with many folk, my Day of DH only makes sense in the context of my job. I am the Director of the Roy Rosenzweig Center for History and New Media at George Mason University, in Fairfax, Virginia. I started in that job in August of last year, so I’m still introducing myself as the ‘new Director,’ and still devoting much of my time to orientating myself to the Center and job of director — and to the US generally, having come from the University of Sydney. (I have lived in the US before, for much of the 1990s, when I completed a PhD at Rutgers University).

Today I’m not actually at RRCHNM – which is part of my job. I represent the Center in a variety of different settings, contributing to workshops and roundtables, offering advice, giving presentations on my own work in digital history — and of course, on countless committees, working groups etc. I’m not the ‘face of the Center;’ the talented people I work with are also regularly called on to talk to a range of different audiences about their areas of expertise and the projects on which they work.

These activities reflect the extent to which many scholars and institutions are still exploring what DH means and what in particular they might do in this area. In this context, to do DH means regularly being asked to talk about it, to explain it, to give advice on how to get started.

Today, having successfully negotiated the traffic, I’m at Virginia Commonwealth University, primarily for this event:

cropped-header6

Scholar, Maker, Creator: New Humanities Conversations

7:00 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. in the W.E. Singleton Center for the Performing Arts, Virginia Commonwealth University

I will be a Panelist – with Susan Brown (University of Alberta); Aaron McCollough (University of Michigan Publishing), in a discussion moderated by Richard Godbeer.  Appropriately enough for the Day of DH, in our opening remarks we’ve been asked to define DH!

Before that event we’re meeting a range of folk interested in DH at VCU – but only if I stop writing and go to meet my ride. Hopefully, more to come!