It was a bad traffic day coming back from Fullerton, so I didn’t get home until 7:50. No time for much more posting, especially as a few more student queries came in whilst I was on the Freeway.
It’s always a challenge to blog about my activities in a single day, but I really enjoy the chance to reflect as I am going about my business (in more than 140 characters).
I’ve got about fifteen minutes before I need to wrap up work for the long commute home to Los Angeles. Productive work is pretty much done until tomorrow, but my Day of DH isn’t quite at an end. I look forward to at least glancing over other Day of DHer’s posts this evening. Maybe I’ll get one more post of my own in before the day comes to an end.
I’ve got through about 15% of my proofreading. I’ve been slowed by the fact that we’ve never determined how we are going to deal with ampersands, which, in the manuscript I am working with, appear as an idiosyncratic Tironian ⁊ with a stroke through it and either a dot or a macron above it. Leaving aside the lack of Unicode (or even MUFI) code point that matches such a character, I’m not sure whether or not to treat it as an abbreviation. If we expand it to “and”, that’s OK—and the other AEME editors may decide to do that in our critical layer of representation. However, if they want to keep an ampersand (even in modern form), it’s either not an abbreviation or an abbreviation that does not get expanded. The scribe’s diacritic seems to indicate that he perceives it as an abbreviation, which is interesting.
Meanwhile, my students are dealing with a different part of the manuscript and are peppering me with questions. They are a little spread out because they are coming through Moodle forum which delays e-mailing posts for 30 minutes. But I’ve taken the time to answer their questions and then flipped back to my own portion. But I’m starting to get tired and may have to call it quits for the day (acknowledging that both I and my students—who are working during their Spring Break—have made a lot of progress).
Update: As I feared, WordPress will not let me enter a weird Unicode entity. I’m sure there’s a plugin that will help me with that, but I’ll just include an image of it () along with a sample from the manuscript:.
I Just saw Amanda Visconti’s tweet about the latest WordPress security release, so I’ve updated my sites. Thanks, Amanda!
And, like magic, my invocation of Starbucks in my previous post magically conjured a coffee delivery, courtesy of my wife. I am now ready to rock and roll.
The intervening time saw me putting together a task list and not relishing the idea of proofreading my TEI. I decided that it would be much better to render the markup in vanilla TEI Boilerplate and scan that for the type of issues I am reviewing. I’m just about to start…
I’m getting a late start with my blogging. An early morning meeting took me until lunchtime, and, after a yummy barbecue lunch (pulled pork sandwich), I’m trying to catch up.
More specifically, I’m at California State University, Fullerton today for a meeting about an ongoing project to do “text mining” on a corpus of Classical Chinese texts. I put “text mining” in inverted commas because we’re really using a wide rang of computational methodologies: today’s meeting was mostly about topic modelling. Chinese provides a number of challenges for topic modelling, not the least of which is the fact that Mallet doesn’t process Chinese characters. I think I’ve got around that problem, so the main issues were how to set up parameters for experiments with the individual corpus. Texts range from 350 to 150,000 words, and we have yet to identify a sweet spot for the number of topics to use. Still, there are some promising results, and I’m encouraged by the possibilities.
But now I have to switch gears, as I promised myself that I’d work on my main project, the Archive of Early Middle English. Last night I finished TEI-tagging a (relatively) lengthy text, The Infancy of Christ, from Oxford, Bodleian Library, Laud Misc. 108. I began my markup as our project schema was evolving, so I now have to go back and reconcile my earlier practices. I’m hoping I can get that done today without going into pulled pork coma. If I’m lucky, I’ll also be able to fit in some administrative work.
I’ll also have to decide whether I want to do some grading during Day of DH (which also falls during Spring Break). Starbucks is calling to me.