4:00 Break

I’ve got through about 15% of my proofreading. I’ve been slowed by the fact that we’ve never determined how we are going to deal with ampersands, which, in the manuscript I am working with, appear as an idiosyncratic Tironian ⁊ with a stroke through it and either a dot or a macron above it. Leaving aside the lack of Unicode (or even MUFI) code point that matches such a character, I’m not sure whether or not to treat it as an abbreviation. If we expand it to “and”, that’s OK—and the other AEME editors may decide to do that in our critical layer of representation. However, if they want to keep an ampersand (even in modern form), it’s either not an abbreviation or an abbreviation that does not get expanded. The scribe’s diacritic seems to indicate that he perceives it as an abbreviation, which is interesting.

Meanwhile, my students are dealing with a different part of the manuscript and are peppering me with questions. They are a little spread out because they are coming through Moodle forum which delays e-mailing posts for 30 minutes. But I’ve taken the time to answer their questions and then flipped back to my own portion. But I’m starting to get tired and may have to call it quits for the day (acknowledging that both I and my students—who are working during their Spring Break—have made a lot of progress).

Update: As I feared, WordPress will not let me enter a weird Unicode entity. I’m sure there’s a plugin that will help me with that, but I’ll just include an image of it (Tironian et) along with a sample from the manuscript:Tironian et from Oxford, Bodleian Library, Laud Misc. 108, f. 11r.