Some things on my screen

A small selection.

Chart from my monthly Reference Desk Log report. Quite a fluctuation.

Chart from my monthly Reference Desk Log report that I just sent out. Quite a fluctuation between months & semesters. I make a Narrative Science-style stats report every month (explanatory blurbs not pictured), except instead of algorithms making the narrative, it’s me & my piddly Excel skills. It’s great to snuggle up close to data that means something and will tell us how to do our jobs better, but it can be time-consuming.

From the John Jay College Archives — a student uses an old OPAC in the library. I had to date this photo ~1985 based on the computer model & textbook title.

From the John Jay College Archives — a student uses an old OPAC in the library. I had to date this photo ~1985 based on the computer model & textbook title. Sooo many things in the materials we digitized for the Special Collections were undated. We became detectives, using old yearbooks to figure out student group names/dates and coercing older faculty members into identifying former colleagues. I’m noting a few more CollectiveAccess theme bugs we have to straighten out with our webmaster tomorrow. (Yes, we still have someone with that title in the library.)

All the tweets. Yesterday, I chatted with one of the college social media specialists whose job is to boost enrollment through smart media practices. She gave me good tips on scheduling social media posts.

All the tweets. Yesterday, I chatted with one of the college social media specialists whose job is to boost enrollment through smart media practices. She gave me good tips on scheduling social media posts. I’ve got to work out our Throwback Thursday post schedule for the next few months, since we decided (after an inevitable mishap) that the posts I pick should be vetted and appended by our Special Collections librarian. I’m not a social media librarian, but I have the most enthusiasm for it, so many of our posts come from me in a minute or two between other things on my plate.

I'm on a committee planning a pretty big 50th Anniversary exhibit to be unveiled IRL and online in the fall. This is a mock of the physical exhibit. We made it collaboratively with me at the helm of Photoshop, layers projected onto a big screen, which I have found to be a great way to do visual work as a group.

I’m on a committee planning a pretty big 50th Anniversary exhibit to be unveiled IRL and online in the fall. This is a mock of the physical exhibit; almost all the things on the walls are from our Archives! The committee  made this mockup collaboratively with me at the helm of Photoshop, layers projected onto a big screen, which I have found to be a great way to do visual work as a group. We’re meeting later today to refine the mock before presenting it to other colleagues.