Afternoon

Metadata: we are not alone

Librarians have a thing for metadata. And as I progress through the MA in Digital Humanities at NUIM, I’m beginning to realise that we are not alone. Metadata are an essential component of the Digital Age in which we live and the DH community acknowledges the crucial role of metadata for the retrieval, sharing, use and preservation of DH data.

This afternoon I am looking at the metadata requirements for batch uploads to the eDeposit Ireland side of TARA, the Institutional Repository of Trinity College Dublin.  I’m working with librarians and content managers at TCD to upload Met Éireann publications to the TCD-hosted IR. This collaborative project extends the Legal Deposit remit of TCD Library and gives Met Éireann an open access platform that will help to make our public sector information available to all.

This work synthesises well with the metadata module I’m currently taking at Maynooth.  It gives me the opportunity to practice technical metadata skills, which I hope to be able to apply to a Digital Humanities project next year as part of my MA thesis.

eDeposit at TCD Library extends the remit of legal deposit to include digital publications.
eDeposit extends TCD Library’s Legal Depoist remit to include digital publications.