Wrapping up my Day of DH

Home sweet home! All in all, my Day of DH 2014 today was a pretty decent one. I was able to:

• Attended a workshop dealing with my future employment;
  • Supported my faculty association by making it to the Spring Annual Meeting;
  • Met my writing quota for the day;
  • And didn’t fall in the stream on my way home (more on that later).

I love the feeling of a community that I got today by following the #DayofDH hashtag. Anecdotally, it looks like we spend just as much time in meetings and doing administrative work than actually ‘doing DH,’ but – I have to remind myself – meetings and administrative work are what makes doing DH possible. I wonder if in a few years, if we do some historical data mining of these Day of DHes, if we’ll be seeing admin work go up, or admin work go down.

And I made it home dry. My path home initially looked pretty doubtful:

IMG_20140408_184415The path was washed out, and it took some adventurous cross-forest plunging to make it out to another route home. All kind of weird for a former big city person like me, who had a pretty epic sixty minute subway ride to get to my graduate school, but all in all, pretty cool.

And now that I’m home, Day of DH 2014 is officially over… See you all next year.

Sometimes I can almost feel my blood pressure drop when I get to this exact moment on my walk home (i.e. almost in the door), so it seemed like a fitting place to end.