Busy Day of DH Ahead

Today (and the next two weeks) will be extraordinarily busy around here. There is a lot of work to be done before the Computer Applications and Quantitative Methods in Archaeology conference, which will be held in Paris the week after Easter. Today I will be bouncing around between the usual digital numismatics stuff and archival software. I have been working the last few months on implementing TEI support in EADitor, an open source framework for managing and publishing archival collections (particularly focused on EAD finding aids). This TEI support includes not only rendering the TEI into HTML, but also into RDF linked data and support for annotating facsimile images by hooking Annotorious into an XForms backend which automatically inserts relative OpenLayers coordinates into the TEI. It’s a fairly complicated task, and I’ll discuss it in more detail in the XForms for Archives blog when it’s ready. If all goes well, we will be launching the new version of the American Numismatic Society Archives (Archer) by the end of this week with at least one well-annotated research notebook created by Edward Newell, one of the pre-eminent 20th century scholars on the coins of Alexander the Great and the Diadochi. First, I must migrate the rest of the EADitor user interface into Bootstrap.

Later this evening, I will continue to work on one of my side projects in order to have it presentation-ready for CAA. The title of my paper is “Linked Open Pottery,” in which I am working on the development of a linked open data thesaurus for the intellectual concepts of Greek pottery (which can be applied to all varieties of ceramics). This resides at http://kerameikos.org. I’ve received some data from the Getty Museum and will harvest more data about Greek vases from the British Museum SPARQL endpoint. I’ll discuss all this in greater detail tonight as I’m working on it.