There was, as it turns out, a fair bit of DH integrated into my Day of DH–perhaps more than I’d anticipated in the morning.
Besides talking about digital research projects, I found myself (for example) trying to persuade my research assistant to switch the History Graduate Student Association research blog to a different platform, hypotheses.org. Well, I am on their English editorial board, and I do think it is a good system! What I really appreciate about hypotheses.org is their desire to promote an international community of (not-necessarily academic) scholars.
Over dinner, one of my friends discussed her successes and failures in teaching a recipes-based history course. Of course, I tried to persuade her to write a blog post on teaching recipes for Recipes Project…
Is blogging part of DH? It’s not about making or using tools, but it is–I think–something that is at the heart of DH: building communities.
Last class of the term over! Now, I’m just counting down to the final exams that will come in for this weekend.
In honour of students everywhere (and heaven knows, I may have felt this way once or twice), I offer this reflection from Recipes Project spam.
this is a lesson of blood:
I realised that I haven’t read the book.
Inspired by the forum on DH in the Curriculum, I’ve decided to include an updated version of a blog post originally published at The Recipes Project. In the autumn term of 2012-3, I involved my third-year class on “Women and Gender in Early Modern Europe” in my research: testing the Textual Communities crowd-sourcing transcription platform. The class collaboratively transcribed parts of the seventeenth-century recipe book of Johanna St John and it was an adventure for us all.
Johanna St John’s Book, Wellcome Library, WMS 4338. Credit: Wellcome Library, London.
The students had little to no experience in digital creation or transcription at the start of term, but they learned the logic of XML and gained an appreciation for the exactness required in transcription. These are habits of thought, as well as useful skills.
The Textual Communities site was by no means complete (and still isn’t!) when we began our transcriptions. As we became familiar with Johanna St John’s book and worked on our transcriptions, it became easier for us to identify what we needed the system to do. Every week, we would discover at least one new problem with it. But Peter Robinson and Xiaohan Zhang have been constantly developing the platform in response to our needs, from figuring out how to implement semi-diplomatic conventions in XML or to represent marginal notations to ensuring that the preview and submit buttons work. By witnessing this process of creation, the students have also learned much about the way in which digital resources are constructed and the choices that researchers make in both transcription and data design.
We have had to be flexible and patient: research is a messy business of failures and false starts. Advanced researchers are only too familiar with this, but it’s something that undergraduates often don’t see–or think about it only in terms of their own work. When teaching, we ordinarily (and for good reasons) present students with a set syllabus and assignment description, from which we don’t deviate. But over the term, we had to revise a number of deadlines and assignment guidelines as we encountered research problems along the way. Truly research-led teaching!
The status of the project as of April 2014? Still incomplete. Along the way, classes at other universities continued our work and now Elaine Leong (Max Planck Institute) and I are editing–with some trusted graduate research assistants–the final version of the recipe book.
We hope to have a completed edition sometime this summer…
- Breakfast: send and check email, Twitter and Day of DH discussions.
- Early dental appointment.
- Admin-related phone calls.
- Lunch: send and check email, Twitter and Day of DH discussions.
- Teach last class of term.
- Meetings with students.
- Meeting with research assistant.
- Some grading.
- Meet friends for end-of-term celebration.
So where’s the DH?
Well, some of my tweeting is about promoting today’s Recipes Project post and about soliciting nominations for the next Giants’ Shoulders History of Science carnival that I’m hosting at my Sloane Letters Blog.
But more specifically, I have some e-mails to send about hiring another summer student for my Sloane Correspondence research team and payment arrangements for my research team (especially while I’m on leave from July). I’ll also be meeting with a research assistant who is helping to edit a digital transcription of a seventeenth-century recipe book.
What surprised me most about undertaking digital history projects is the amount of research time that is actually about project management: grant-getting, hiring and paying research assistants, overseeing and managing group work-flow, editing research assistants’ blog posts and scholarly work… (To just name a few activities.)
But what I love about digital projects is the sense of community that comes from building a group blog (The Recipes Project), collaborating with international researchers (recipe transcription) and working with a team of research assistants (Sloane Correspondence). With so many people involved, it’s often complicated and occasionally seems to be going nowhere fast–but it’s always interesting!