Masters in Digital Humanities

FlyerFor the last while the Project Officer, Deirdre, and myself have been organising an open house for the MA in Digital Humanities on 16 April 2014, 12-2pm. The day will consist of talks about; the content of the Masters, current DH projects, academic progression within DH, working in the field of DH, among others. We will also give a tour of our imaging lab, and lunch. I will be giving one of these talks on the day. My topic will be on “Software Methods within Digital Humanities”. So, if you know anyone who may be interested in doing a Masters in Digital Humanities send them our way!

For more information about the masters and the scholarships available visit our website: www.learndigitalhumanities.ie

A task I have been putting off for a few days now (because it is always uncomfortable to write about yourself), was to write a personal profile as a graduate of the course for the Graduate Studies NUIM website. But, I have finally written it … so I may as well include it here also, as a snippet of my experience of completing the Masters in Digital Humanities at NUIM!

“I decided to do the Masters in Digital Humanities (MADH) to tie together my previous two qualifications; BA in Anthropology and Mathematics and HDip in Information Technology. As my previous two qualifications were so disconnected from each other, I felt that through this Masters program I could amalgamate the skills I gained from both, to work together. By completing the MADH, I learned many new skills and theories specific to Digital Humanities practice, but I also learned how to use the skills I already possessed in a new context.

I entered the MADH after returning from abroad and it was quiet overwhelming re-entering education at a Masters level. It was a challenging year but I feel the course supplied me with confidence in the skills I acquired. It was also very exciting to be part of an institute that not only teach students about this evolving discipline but are also practitioners in the field.

The part of the MADH, which I particularly enjoyed, was doing my dissertation and the accompanying project. It was through my project that I really got to explore the aspects of Digital Humanities that I find most interesting, which in my case, is the creation of tools that can help others accomplish their needs in the humanities. For this project, I created an Android application that generates metadata for cultural heritage objects, for use in privately owned museums.

The knowledge I gained in the MADH has directly effected my employment since graduating. My MADH project was extended into a DRI (Digital Repository of Ireland) internship, which I undertook while tutoring the new MADH class. I am currently the Technology Officer in An Foras Feasa.”