Heartbleed

So I got this email saying that I should check the websites I’ve been using because there’s a bug called heartbleed that takes your passwords and credit card information. I don’t understand at all how these things work, probably because I don’t understand the internet entirely. I sit down at my laptop and magically I get to use my email and facebook or whatever else I may be doing online, but really if someone asked me to define what the internet was, I would have no idea how. The fact that there are people who intentionally create a virus that can go in and take personal information from people just blows my mind. Then again, there have always been people that steal, of course now that the world is so technologically dependent, there would be an equivalent to a bank robber online. I am one of the people that is most likely to be affected from something like heartbleed because I have the same password for everything. I saw someone in my class the other day that had a password protector program, where you have one password to get in to the program and it holds all your passwords for everything else inside of it, and those passwords are all very cryptic and difficult to remember. When I saw that I thought, that seems excessive. Maybe it isn’t though…