And for my Final Act

… I have a few reflections. Taking in everything I’ve blogged about today–playing with the CD-ROM digital facsimile of the Codex Amiatinus, web design for digital projects, geospatial mapping, and APIs–one theme that emerges is the pursuit and presentation of knowledge. My Day of DH was also punctuated by some of the things I tweeted about, including reading others’ Day-of-DH-related posts (by Tom Scheinfeldt here and Elijah Meeks here), checking out others’ projects (like the Medieval Disability Glossary), working behind the scenes with my Judith Omeka archive (thanks to Anna Kijas!), as well as exploring the possibilities of Wget to mass download manuscript data from e-codices. For me, today was much more about exploring and playing than it was about any specific “product” besides learning. I realize, of course, that exploration and play are great aspects of (digital) research, and the foundations of innovative (digital) humanities work. I put “digital” in parentheses because I think these notions apply to research more broadly, too. I like that not everyone’s Day of DH is all digital–mine happened to be a lot of digital work (though not all), and that was great. But I think that the thread of the pursuit and presentation of knowledge throughout my posts is indicative of humanistic inquiry generally. I had the opportunity to spend the day in a setting with others enthusiastic about research (of many types, digital and otherwise), and I took it. While I had no specific aims or goals, I’m happy with the outcomes.

Day of DH at the UConn Scholars’ Collaborative (via @scholarscollab)