Well, thats it folks, the sun has set (all over the world) on another exciting Day of DH.  Thanks for everyone’s exciting posts and enthusiastic participation.

So, where do we go from here?  Some points about what happens next:

• Take some time to add to or edit your posts until you are happy.  If you didn’t get around to getting up as much as you would like, go ahead and add some additional posts.  If you have images from the day (but didn’t get them up), please feel free to add them to your blog.  We won’t turn off the system for a couple of weeks
  • If you didn’t, please consider categorizing your posts (see a list of suggested categories here – these are pulled from the Day of DH 2013 website)
  • Spend a little time taking a look at and comment on what other people wrote (the Activity Stream is the best place to do that). Also, have a look at the Community Groups that people formed.  Remember, Day of DH is as much about forming connections between individuals as much as it is about documenting what each of us does.
  • If you experienced any technical issues that got in the way of you posting, ping us through our Contact Form or through the Day of DH 2014 Help & Conversations forum

On a personal note, I’d like to offer up my thanks to the community for a great experience.  When Neil Fraistat (on behalf of CenterNet) asked if MATRIX would take over Day of DH for 2013, I didn’t honestly know what I was getting myself into (story of my life, quite honestly).  Despite the sometimes seemingly insane amount of work involved with both the lead up and the day proper, I think we were generally pretty successful (at least people liked our swag).  I never thought that I would find myself helming the event for for a second year.  The work has been no less intense this year around.  Its also been no less rewarding.

Its also very important to note that pulling this off was a group effort at MATRIX.  Dan Jaquint (MATRIX’s Lead Designer) is responsible for Day of DH 2014’s identity design – as well as the design of the website and all of the rad swag.  Credit for everything pretty about Day of DH 2014 should be placed directly at the feet of Dan.  Zak Schlemmer (MATRIX’s brand new sys admin) is responsible for ensuring that the site ran smoothly throughout the day.  Caitlyn Przbysz (one of MATRIX’s dedicated clerks) made sure that all of the shipments of swag made it to their local, national, and international destinations.  Finally, Day of DH 2014 was generously supported by a whole host of folks at Michigan State University (the full list can be seen at the bottom of the About page). Without their support, we wouldn’t have had near as much cool swag to give out locally and send out globally.

Its important to note that this is also the last year that MATRIX will be hosting Day of DH.  Its been fun, but its time for another center to take the reins for 2015.

In closing, something that I feel needs to be said.  In my humble opinion, one of the most important things about the Digital Humanities is (and has always been) that we’re a community – an interdisciplinary, transdisciplinary, cross-disciplinary community that is riotous and chaotic and wonderful.  The community is made up of  librarians, instructors, museum professionals, archivists, professors, authors, editors, developers, readers, administrators, designers, activists, students, writers, teachers, artists – all of us scholars.  In recent years, however, I’ve seen cracks start to develop in this powerful sense of community, this sense of oneness, this sense of “we’re all in this together.” Sometimes this makes me sad.  In some ways, this is just the natural, social progression of a scholarly community that is well (well) beyond its first, baby steps and entering into maturity.  In other ways, this is a factor of egos, territoriality, selfishness, ignorance, and general contemptible behavior that saturates much of the academy.

But it doesn’t have to be like this.  We don’t have to succumb to the perceived inevitability of some weird, scholarly entropy. We can be different, we can be better…we can be awesome.

For these reasons (and many more), community events like Day of DH have never been more important.  Events that bring us all together to recognize and celebrate our intellectual, disciplinary, linguistic, ethnic, and geographic diversity.  Events that amplify all of the voices in our little scholarly community.  Events that underscore that we are all different, but we are also one.

Building and fostering community is hard, don’t let anyone tell you different.  But if its something you believe in, something that is important and meaningful, its always worth doing.

Thanks for everything, folks.  your hard work on this day has been inspiring. Now I think I’m going to go take a nap.

Cheers,

Ethan

Senshi image courtesy of Flickr user DieselDemon